The Clock Tower constructed in 1888 was originally part of a monumental Post Office. Its construction signified the hope of growth and prosperity for the Town Of Trenton. The Clock Tower is at the foot of King Street on Dundas Street West. It is a historical icon in downtown Trenton. The Post Office was demolished in 1971 to make way for the City Hall and a parking garage.
The Tower remains attached to the then new Town Hall. The Town Hall was relocated and a nearby new modern building built when the Town of Trenton was amalgamated as part of the City of Quite West. The clock tower was constructed from the best quality limestone from Ox Point Quarries near Belleville. The approximate height of the tower is 90 feet. Clocks on four sides of the octagonal tower toll the hour.
The Clock Tower was designated as a heritage property under the Ontario Heritage Act for architectural and historic reasons in 1979.
In 1980 a group of citizens came together and formed the Trent Port Historical Society. The mandate was created, stating the need to preserve the history in the Trenton area. The name for the new group was taken from the name of the original settlement at the mouth of the Trent River.
The community was later renamed Trenton. Dufferin Centre (formerly Dufferin School) at the corner of Spring and Dufferin Street became the home of the Trent Port Historical Society.
An archives room was established there for the display and storage of artifacts relating to the history of this community. The business meetings were also held in this building. The preservation of our standing architecture was a concern of this small group. Our interest concentrated on saving the Town Hall and Market building from demolition. After studies were done, along with research upholding the importance of this building a committee presented ideas to city council in 1994 requesting permission to begin a restoration project. Permission was granted, a lease was signed and the work began on this project. Service groups and interested citizens did fundraising and lent their muscles to the restoration project.
Since the rebirth of "Trenton Town Hall - 1861", the building has been used for many gatherings, art and music events and local theatre. In 2008 the archive collection of the Trent Port Historical Society was move to "Trenton Town Hall-1861".
Trent Port Historical Society is available to assist anyone interested in preserving history. Whether it is a question of genealogy, research of past social events or information regarding architecture in our community our members are happy to assist you.